Compass is a cloud-based student information system managing attendance, student management and wellbeing, school communications and semester reporting. It can be accessed by parents through an online Parent Portal. The portal is accessible via a web browser and/or by using the Compass School Manager mobile application.
Compass will deliver access to relevant and timely information about our school and your child’s progress. Specifically, the portal provides you with the ability to:
- View up-to-date class and school attendance information
- Enter past and future absences for your child
- Access your child’s Semester Reports
- Download and print upcoming excursion information
- Book parent-teacher conferences
- Update your registered email and mobile number (used for SMS alerts)
- Access information regarding upcoming events and news via the School Calendar and Newsfeeds
- The Welcome to Compass brochure provides additional information about the parent portal
Throughout 2019, our college is implementing a new student information system called COMPASS. It is a cloud-based program that has been successfully rolled out in all Primary schools and progressively, all Secondary schools in the Archdiocese of Sydney will implement Compass over the next two years.
This student information system has many components; attendance, student management and wellbeing, school communications and semester reporting to name a few. The first module to be introduced at De La Salle College Caringbah is the Attendance module.
From 30 April 2019, teachers began using the electronic roll to record the daily attendance. COMPASS provides the opportunity for teachers to mark the roll on their laptops and mobile devices eg. mobile phones. It is a legislative requirement that attendance rolls are maintained accurately and explanation of absence is recorded in a timely fashion. COMPASS will assist with this, however it requires your support as well.
Regular and punctual attendance at school is essential if students are to maximise their learning potential. Research shows that regular and timely attendance is integral to successful academic, employment and social outcomes. Importantly, regular and punctual attendance is a requirement by law.
Teacher, Office Staff and Parent Responsibilities
- Class teachers (including specialist teachers) mark the electronic roll daily.
- Teachers will mark a student present (P) or not present (NP) determined by who is in front of them at this time.
- If a student has not arrived at school by 9:30am an SMS will be sent to the parent contact 1 (as stipulated in the enrolment form). notifying you of your child’s absence from school. We ask that you click on the link provided in the SMS and provide a reason for your child’s absence from school.
- All students who arrive once the gates are closed, must enter through the front office and will be recorded as Late (L). A reason for the lateness must be provided.
- Attendance patterns will be monitored closely, with COMPASS providing the ability to visualise patterns of lateness and absenteeism.
- Student Absences are recorded on the Semester 1 and Semester 2 reports.
COMPASS and PRIVACY
Personal information about students, parents and guardians will be moved from the college’s local information systems to the centralised system. You should know that:
- All data is located in Australia.
- There will be no change to the information access rights in the centralised system from the college’s current information system.
More detailed information about the data collection through these systems can be accessed here.